Your child practicing excellent oral hygiene every day at home is a massive part of keeping their smile healthy for life, but it can’t do the whole job on its own. Regular dental visits can catch developing oral health problems early on so they can be resolved before they become painful and expensive ordeals. Read on to learn more about the benefits of taking your little one to regular dental exams.
The Importance of Proper Dental Care and Early Detection
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report that more than 40 percent of American children have tooth decay before they reach kindergarten, making it the most common chronic illness among children in the country. If tooth decay goes untreated, it will eventually progress from a cavity to tooth loss.
In addition to eliminating tooth decay in its early stages, a pediatric dentist can provide your child with professional guidance about how to properly care for their teeth. The development of your child’s dental health habits is a crucial factor in their overall well-being for the rest of their life. Having a healthy, pain-free mouth allows your child to have better focus in class, smile confidently, and chew food easily.
What Sort of Oral Health Problems Can a Pediatric Dentist Detect?
During a typical pediatric dental visit, your child’s dentist can check on oral health concerns such as:
- Loose baby teeth: Your child’s baby teeth pave the way for their adult set, so your dentist will make sure they are developing normally.
- Tooth decay: Checking for cavities allows your dentist to eliminate tooth decay before it can destroy a tooth or spread to other teeth.
- Gum disease: Early gum disease can affect the health and alignment of adult teeth, so finding and treating it early brings many benefits.
- Alignment: Caring for your child’s bite can help the teeth emerge in more ideal positions or help provide information for orthodontic treatment.
- Speech: A pediatric dentist can provide treatments for tongue-ties and other speaking issues.
How Can Pediatric Dentist’s Visits Promote Proper Oral Hygiene Habits?
A pediatric dentist can help your child learn how to practice excellent oral hygiene at home, including how to brush, floss, and count teeth. They can also help you and your child understand the connection between eating habits and oral health by explaining matters like how sugar consumption leads to the growth of the bacteria that cause tooth decay.
Oral health is a crucial part of your child’s overall well-being. Everyone loves to see their kid’s smile, and your pediatric dentist is well-prepared to set your child up to have beautiful teeth for life.
About the Practice
G&G Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics provides a kid-friendly, family-focused atmosphere for pediatric oral health care in Naperville, IL. Led by Drs. Nicole and Cory Grathwol, the staff delivers comprehensive dentistry that helps children maintain healthy smiles for a lifetime. Areas of expertise include pediatric preventive, restorative, and emergency dentistry as well as orthodontic treatments. For more information on how regular dental visits can help keep your child healthy, contact the office online or dial (630) 778-9500.